Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Cemetery

Set in a quiet leafy green area at the top of Carron Lane, adjacent to Midhurst Common, the Cemetery has been used for burials since 1878 and there are now about three and a half thousand recorded burials. Earlier burials in the town will have been in the Parish Churchyard and details of these are held by the West Sussex Record Office.

The Cemetery is non denominational and primarily serves the parishioners of Midhurst though non parishioners may apply for an Exclusive Right of Burial.
The Cemetery was formerly managed by Midhurst Rural District Council and in 1947, recognising that the burial ground would need to be extended if it were to continue to serve the needs of local people, the Council resolved to buy an additional piece of land from the Cowdray Estate for that purpose. The conveyance was finalised in November 1950. The additional land was not needed immediately and for some years it was used for growing Christmas Trees. The area began to be used for burials early this century and a substantial area was consecrated in February 2002 by the Bishop of Horsham, the Rt. Rev. Lindsay Urwin.


In 1970 an area was designated as a Garden of Remembrance for the burial of cremated remains. The original 186 plots were allocated by 1998 and this area has now also been extended to approximately twice its original size.


Since 1974 the Cemetery has been managed by Midhurst Town Council. All enquiries should be directed to the Town Clerk, Tel. 01730 816953 or midhursttc@btconnect.com.